Treasurer Forms, Documents & Important Information
- Property taxes are billed twice a year in July and December. The summer taxes are due July 1 of the year issued and are payable until August 31 of the year issued without incurring penalty. On September 1st interest and penalty of 3.75% is charged on the unpaid property tax amount. There is no interest and penalty charged on the administration fee or special assessments, with the exception of the millage based police special assessment on the summer bill. Additional interest of 1.25% will accrue monthly beginning October 1st.
- The winter taxes are issued December 1 of the current year and payment is due by February 14 of the following year without penalty being incurred. On February 15th interest and penalty of 3.00 % is charged on the unpaid property tax amount. There is no interest and penalty charged on the administration fee or special assessments.
- On March 1st real property taxes go delinquent to Genesee County and payment must be made to the Genesee County Treasurer. Additional interest of 1.25% will accrue monthly beginning March 1st for personal and qualified real property and payment must be made to the City of Swartz Creek.
- Note that postmarks are not accepted for payments. Payments must be received in the office or drop box by 4:30 p.m. If the tax due date for summer or winter taxes falls on a weekend or holiday, payment will be accepted thru 4:30 p.m. on the next business day. Payments received after 4:30 p.m. are considered paid on the next business day and applicable penalties and interest will be applied.
- Payments may be made in person, by mail or placed in the drop box located in the city hall parking lot. Payments can be made in person during normal business hours. Payments put in the drop box after 4:30 p.m. will be credited on the next business day.
- The city currently accepts payments of cash, money orders and checks but not credit cards.
General Tax Bill Information
- Bills are mailed to either a homeowner or a homeowner's mortgage company; therefore, it is important for the homeowner to inform us if (1) there is a change in the mortgage company, (2) the mortgage has been paid off, or (3) the home is sold. DO NOT RELY ON THE MORTGAGE COMPANY OR THE NEW OR FORMER OWNER TO RELAY THIS INFORMATION.
- If you pay your own taxes and you have not received your summer tax bill by the end of the first week of July or your winter tax bill by the end of the first week of December, call the City office. We will be happy to provide you with a copy.
- Summer Tax Deferments are available for those who qualify. This allows you to delay payment of the summer tax bill without penalty or interest until February 14 of the following year (Or the next business day if it a weekend or holiday). Click on the Application for Deferment form for the requirements to file.
The Projected Budget Report is designed to give a projection of the revenues and expenditures for the general operations of the city for the next fiscal year.